I’m excited about this weekend. No, not just about the game. I’m excited because I get to participate in the relaunch of New Harvest’s Orange Family Experience (FX) that we call “Family Life Live.”
Here’s what it’s not:
- a pageant [Yes, there are children and youth performing, using their God-given talents; but let's not confuse the purpose...]
- an excuse for me to act crazy on the stage [I will do this. But it is for a reason...]
- something for the kids [Well, it's definitely appropriate for kids, and kids will love it. But it's for the whole family! So...shh...and pay attention...]
Family Life Live is for families. This is an opportunity for parents of babies, toddlers, children, and youth to experience godly edu-tainment together.
* It’s funny. There are references that only the parents will get. For example, I make jokes about Samuel L Jackson, the California legislature, and Bernie Madoff. And kids will love the goofy antics of goofy characters.
* It’s centered on God’s Word. The whole morning is about a unified subject each time. This Sunday, it’ll be about HONOR (which comes from the story of David being anointed king of Israel). And everything, from the songs, to the emcees, to the skits, to the Bible characters all have to do with reinforcing this godly virtue and how it plays out in our everyday life. Yes, we could just open up a Bible and have kids sit in a circle and read it to them; but we can also leverage our creativity to present timeless truths in a relevant (and hilarious/disarming/way-more-memorable) way.
* It’s a valuable tool. Family Life Live is intended to be a launching point for conversation in the family. Every age group has resources available to their parents to help further spiritual conversations in the home:
– parents of babies here can take advantage of the monthly Parent Link Live podcasts that speak to this special time
– parents of toddlers have a monthly Parent Cue that enables parents to engage in conversations with their little ones during play time, car time, bath time, and cuddle time
- parents of elementary kids get parent cues also and can take advantage of the amazing Parent Cue App that furthers the conversation during drive time, hang time, and meal time
- parents of middle school and high school students have access to a parent cue (on our parents’ blog) for every series that we do (including intentional activities and conversations that you can have)
- Family Life Live is one more tool for parents to engage in spiritual conversations with their kid(s). Granted, if you’re not engaging in any conversation afterwards, I can see where people would say, “Meh, it’s not for me.” But that’s kind of like saying that P90X stinks because I didn’t get results when I didn’t actually DO any of the workouts.
In order to get the maximum effect of Family Life Live (or any of the Parent Cues that we offer), you’ve got to continue (or start) the conversation with your kid(s). Our family ministry team is here to help. To me, FLL is one big catalyst for making that happen.
And that’s why I am excited.
But, hey, those of you who have participated in the past, tell the world what it’s meant to your family!